As DLS plans to be a K-8 school and the capacity of the Whiteman site will be 600 students after the addition, we need to pursue options for a long term location for the school. One option being pursued is to build a facility to meet our needs.
On March 21st, around 50 parents and community members came together to discuss the school community's needs and desires of what we would like in a new building. Adele Willson and Travis Bostic from Slater Paull Architects led the group through several exercises designed to target our needs in a future school building.
The evening began with Adele and Travis providing an overview of trends in school design. This provided background to the group on the possibilities - from ways to integrate the outdoors to how to integrate technology. See "DLS_Visioning_03_21_13.pdf" in the document list below to view the presentation.
After learning about the latest in school design, the group was divided into two groups to go through the visioning exercises:
- 21st Century Design Principles
- Each person placed 4 sticker dots on the items that represented their most important design principles.
- The two items with the most combined dots across both groups were "variety of learning environments" and "technology focused spaces".
- Detailed results in "What are your top 4 priorities for 21st century design principles.pdf" listed below.
- Design Features
- Again, each person placed 4 sticker dots to place on the items that represented their most important design features.
- The two items with the most combined dots across the two groups were "library/media center/tech lab" and "exploratory/elective classrooms".
- Detailed results in "What are your top 4 priorities for design features of the new school.pdf" listed below.
- 3 Words to Describe the Essence of School
- Each person wrote 3 words on post its to indicate what they believed should be the essence of the school.
- Detailed results in "3 words that describe the essence of the new school.pdf" listed below.
- Criteria for Selecting a School Location
- Each group discussed and listed those items that were important in a school location.
- Detailed results in "Criteria for selecting a new school location.pdf" below.
- What do you hope students staff will say about new school
- Each group discussed and listed what they hoped the students and staff would say after spending their first day in the new school.
- Detailed results in "What do you hop the students - staff will day after spending a day in the school.pdf" below.
Note: For each item, there are two files - one for each group's results.